James Miller

 

Saturday, June 12, 2004

 

Wheat-Free Diets and Intelligence

Dr. Stuttaford in The Times is right when he says that more research is needed into wheat-free and other diets and their effects on intelligence.

I have to declare an interest here, in that two years ago at the age of 55, I was found to be suffering from coeliac disease. As I learn more of the symptoms, I find that I have probably suffered all my life. So, I don’t have it seriously, but I have suffered from tiredness and general miserableness on and off over the years. I was definitely a child who ‘failed to thrive’ being a rather thin and puny specimen!

Since changing to a gluten-free diet, I now feel so much better. I have more energy, don’t get tired, eat much more heartily and don’t feel the heat anymore in addition to having a quiet gut.

Could this well-being be one of the reasons why if you get a child’s diet right, they perform better? And that applies to everybody and not just those who have a gluten allergy!

The best thing about the last two years, is that as I now feel better, my real tennis handicap has improved by four points!

So eat healthily and stop smoking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home