James Miller

 

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

 

House Arrest, Phone Tapping etc.

Can't see why we can't allow phone tapping and e-mail intercepts as evidence. Most other countries in Europe allow it.

Yet again we're out of step.

I'm afraid that I was brought up to believe that I always have the right to be tried by my peers, if someone thinks I've done something wrong.

After all, wouldn't Robert Mugabe think some of my sentiments were treasonable, if they were applied to his Government?

But what would happen if in my role as a web designer, I wrote a site for a group of nefarious people, who were perhaps creating a legitimate front for their protection racket and drug dealing? Supposing it looked like guilt by association, with the only evidence in my favour being phone taps of my conversations with the criminals, where we only talked about the web site. These of course would not be produced in court, as they would show my innocence.

But surely, aren't I allowed full access to all evidence, so that I can prove my innocence?

This must also apply to some of those in Belmarsh, as unless all phone taps are shown and tested in court, then justice does not apply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home