James Miller

 

Sunday, October 30, 2005

 

God Hates Fags

I find this one of the most vile web sites I've ever had the disgust to see.

I can think of several reasons why this site should be banned; Fred Phelp's feelings that we in the UK deserve to suffer a million more deaths in addition to those of the seventh of July because of our support for homosexuality, his opposition to a woman's right to choose etc. etc. But mainly because he is an advocate of the death penalty.

What love for his fellow man is there there? Isn't Jesus supposed to be a man of peace, compassion and humanity?

But no I don't want to ban Phelps and his views.

I am a very tolerant man and believe that we should all be allowed to say what we want. The minute we start to ban weird and offbeat views we give them credibility and start to give rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories.

But sites like his, illustrate how difficult it will be to frame a law as proposed by Tony Blair about which web sites should be banned. God Hates Fags would be offensive to many in this country, the States and in all of rest of the world. But then I find many sites offensive and I suspect Phelps would find my views that way too.

Perhaps, it's a bit like the Mahatma Gandhi statement that "An eye for an eye and we'll all go blind". If we all banned what we want, then no knowledge would ever get disemminated and we'd still be in the dark ages beloved of the Taliban and Osama bin Laden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home