James Miller

 

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Not Enough Violence of the Right Kind

 

I grew up in North London in the 1950s. The primary school, I attended was very rough and several of the pupils didn't stay the right side of the law.

Years later, whilst serving in the local pub, I came across one of the roughest of the rough. He appeared to have reformed and when I asked him what he did he said he worked for a demolition contractor.

There is violence in us all and it should be challenged into difficult jobs. Unfortunately, most of these have disappeared or sanitised by Health and Safety, so is this a reason for more violence?

After all, we hear lots of stories about how the Army turned me from a thug to a decent bloke.

So perhaps next time a building needs to be taken down, why don't we just say to the local youth. It's yours! And it needs to be taken down. Health and Safety would go mad, but a lot would learn the true meaning of danger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home