James Miller

 

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Divorce

 

I've been married to a family barrister for over thirty-eight years. Well not all that time as she's only been practicing for the last twenty-five or so.

Over the years, I've discussed cases with her and also done a lot of typing for her in recent years. I also write web sites for lawyers and especially those concerned with family law. Recently, I've been involved with creating sites for mediation and collaborative law.

What we mustn't forget is that the great proportion of divorces are fairly amicable, quick and don't cost an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, my experience of looking in on the subject for many years, leads me to the conclusion that the nastiness, vindictiveness and obstructiveness of some parties beggars belief.

The biggest and worst problems my wife deals with often concern family businesses, where all the assets are say owned by the father of the husband, and the couple have a great life in one of his houses and at his expense. When the marriage breaks up, the wife is left totally destitute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home