James Miller

 

Monday, July 09, 2007

UK Borders and Passport Checking

 

So we don’t do it as well as we might, but as a software writer, I know the problems of getting such a system right, with incompatible databases and computer systems. (One of the reasons for the latter is that governments are reluctant to create standards for all their computer systems. But that’s another story.)

Later this week, I’m flying to Austria on a well-known low cost airline. This morning, I checked in on-line and after entering my passport number, I was able to print out my boarding card. I’ve used on-line check-in several times before and it is a great time and hassle saver. But today, as with many airlines, I had to pay a little bit extra for this privilege.

Now if I had a forged passport, I would not use an on-line check-in as this would give more time for the authorities to check it and locate me.

So why not encourage early on-line check-in, by say halving the Air Passenger Duty for those that check-in more than twenty-four hours before take-off? I’m sure the airlines would like this, as it would seriously reduce their check-in costs and probably mean that those that did check-in traditionally, were the ones that needed extra time and customer care.

The trouble with this, is that the Home Office would have to pay this fee on our behalf to the Treasury and we don’t have joined up government. We just have departments who fight like spoilt children. It would also mean that large numbers of passengers would not spend so much time at the airport, which would be bad for the airport owner’s profits.

Despite all this, I’ll continue to use on-line check-ins as they are so much easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home