James Miller

 

Friday, December 24, 2004

 

Homebase and Exploding Lightbulbs

We moved into our current house about twelve years ago and perhaps four years afterwards we put up a series of six high-quality light fittings from John Lewis that use 100 watt Edison screw bulbs. Incidentally, with one exception they are the only fittings we have that use the Edison screw bulbs.

If you live in Newmarket, there is only one place to buy light bulbs and that is Homebase near the by-pass. So over the years we've bought hundreds of light bulbs from their store, as being a large house, we use a lot of bulbs. Too many in my view, but that is because bulbs don't last as long as they should.

We've never had any problem until the last few months.

Perhaps a year ago, Homebase changed their packaging for bulbs from a dark red to a pink. Nothing wrong with that in my view, even if the colour is a bit garish. But that is their decision.

However, since then in a period of perhaps three months, four of the Edison screw bulbs have exploded. Two have gone on switch on, when bulbs usually go, whilst the others have gone without warning. Glass has gone everywhere and I dread to think what would happen if anybody were to be standing underneath.

I would suspect, but cannot prove that all of the exploding bulbs are ones that were delivered in the new packaging, so I suspect that Homebase also changed the specification or manufacturer of the bulbs.

I reported this to Homebase Customer Services by phone after first trying the store, where I got no response at all. The main reason for reporting was that as an electrical engineer, I consider the exploding bulbs to be a very serious safety issue. Homebase insisted that I provide the product serial number and proof of purchase. In other words, they were not interested.

I also reported everything to Suffolk Trading Standards. They again wanted serial number and proof of purchase and were unable to act.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home