James Miller

 

Monday, August 08, 2005

 

British-What?

I’m from Jewish, Huguenot, Devon and Northants lines and was born in London.

When a form asks for ethnicity, I always put London Mongrel.

Seriously though, I’m 58, and can remember that when Indians came over in the 1950’s and 60’s, many of the women used to wear saris for work. I am an engineer and worked with a female Indian engineer in the 1970s and she wore a sari, when it was convenient. My mother’s surgeon also did this in the 1950’s. No-one bothered and many thought it added colour to life.

Since the atrocities in London, I’ve noticed that more Indian women are wearing saris.

As with the Sikhs turban and many of the African clothes, the sari is a positive sign of ethnicity. The ones that get complained about tend to be very negative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home