James Miller

 

Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Child Support Agency

I have an interesting view on the CSA, as I'm married to a barrister, who for nearly thirty years has been sorting out family problems. I also have lots of judges, solicitors and barristers amongst my friends.

Years ago, most maintenance was sorted out in the Magistrates Courts. There may be a touch of nostalgia here, but generally that system worked well and with the addition of a few teeth for non payers, I believe that it could be made to work well again. Perhaps those who agree their payments, should be made to register their arrangements with the local court.

I am very sceptical that everybody will be able to work it out for themselves, as I have heard so many cases where children are not involved, where divorcing couples can't agree on anything. Add children and they would use them to punish everybody involved.

Also add the fact that some of the worst cases have been where the husband works in something like a family business and has no visible income at all, but a very good lifestyle.

So it is a difficult problem to solve.

So I return to what I originally said. It has to go back to something being legally registered through the Magistrates Court, with lots of sanctions, that are rigorously enforced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home