James Miller

 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Is it Art?

 

I've just been round the Uffizi and have been struck, by how once you've seen one Death of a Saint or Christ on the Cross, you've seen them all. Or am I being a Philistine?

Now, when you see something, which is informative as well as being art, then that is different. I looked at the Canaletto of Venice for some minutes and compared it with my views of yesterday, as I returned to the Doges Palace on a vaparetto. The portraits are interesting too, as they put faces to history or give a another dimension to how people live.

And then there are the nudes!

Now, I sometimes wonder if a lot were painted for tittilation of those who commissioned them. Wasn't it Hancock who said something similar about this? He may have done, but only him and Kenneth Williams could pronounce bosoms in that way.

At least one was actually called Nuda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home