James Miller

 

Monday, October 22, 2007

Proofing Press

 

Traditional letterpress printers and also many others often have wonderfully archaic proofing press, many of which are well over a hundred years old. My father actually dated from the late 18th century and was older than any I've ever seen in a museum.

Proofing Press

Studlands still uses their press to create all the door cards for the Horse Sales at Newmarket.

Proofing Press


Proofing Press

All of these letters bring back memories for me, as that was how I learned to read, write and spell.

But they are backwards! So didn't this give me problems with knowing which way round letters go.

No! If anything the reverse, as I have a strong sense of spatial awareness and can turn any drawing through any number of degrees with impunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home