James Miller

 

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Day

 

I had been dreading Christmas Day in a way, but it went well.

I decided soon after Celia died that I would not go down to Hampshire to see George, Amanda and Immi, but stay here by myself and do something useful. I really didn't think I could face the two hour trip on a day, when the radio is nothing but repeats. I had gone down on Sunday to see them and it is so much better, when there is something like live football on Radio 5.

After presents and breakfast, I walked the dogs and then I had my first phone call of the day from David. That helped, but it almost made me late to pick up the two ladies I was taking to the pensioners Christmas lunch in Bury St. Edmunds.

I enjoyed helping at the lunch, even if I was useless. At least I shall be better if I do it again next year. I probably will.

I sat next to another helper, who had Parkinson's Disease. We talked for a bit and he said how when he was diagnosed, he'd retired and was now busier than ever with various causes. He said he'd seen it as an opportunity, rather than a problem.

That is an admirable attitude.

I had more calls in the afternoon and then I cooked myself a turkey breast joint from Marks and Spencer. It was good, but a bit dry as I don't know how to make gravy and I'd forgotten to buy any cranberry sauce.

Here's a very bad picture of me toasting Celia.

Dinner For One

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your toasting Celia is a lovely picture.I am sure that she would be very proud that you had managed to do so many good charitable things this week, keep the blog up, were all missing her very very much, things have to get a little better soon I hope. A very long tiresome year, at least we all have the wonderful memories. Have a toast as often as you feel you should! I think it is really sweet of
you, and you are being very brave and strong. Qualities she did so very much admire in people! xaj

10:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home