James Miller

 

Friday, July 25, 2008

Acres v. Hectares

 

This was prompted by a letter to The Times. I sent it in, but it wasn't published.

As an engineer, who worked for ICI in the early seventies, I’ve never really used Imperial units, as that company went to SI (metric) units in 1956 or thereabouts. I also have a copy of The Times for the 20th July 1969, which as well as announcing the birth of our first son, Edward, also documents the first landing on the moon, by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Tucked in the middle of that paper is the report of the Decimalisation and Metrication Board, which had intended that we all use metric units by 1984.

Whatever happened to that aim? At least we got rid of Lsd!

As a stud farmer can I visualise an acre? No!

But a hectare is easy and I see one every time I go to watch Ipswich play football, as a hectare is the approximate size of the pitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home