James Miller

 

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Liverpool

 

Celia and I met in Liverpool and as I'd been invited to the opeing of the Stuart Sutcliffe Retrospective at Liverpool University's new Victoria Museum and Gallery, I decided to spend a day in the city.

Liverpool has changed in recent years and especially since we met there forty years ago, but perhaps the biggest change in the centre is the new shopping centre called Liverpool One.

Liverpool One - John Lewis
But some of the old favourites like Phred are still there on the rather tatty Lewis's.

Phred - Lewis's Liverpool
The University always called him Phred, but apparently he does have a real name of Liverpool Resurgent. The statue was by Jacob Epstein.

In Panto Week, engineers used to march down Brownlow Hill and pay homage to the statue. I wonder if they still do?

The Three Graces at the Pier Head are still there too.

The Three Graces
I walked there because I wanted to go to the Klimt Exhibition at the Tate in the Albert Dock.

Tate Liverpool - Albert Dock
I enjoyed the exhibition, but I can't say that for most of the other junk in the gallery. On the other hand I did like the Andy Warhol.

On the other hand I had a very good gluten-free lunch at the restaurant in the gallery.

I walked back to where I'd parked my car on Mount Pleasant by way of St. Georges Hall and Lime Street Station.

St. Georges Hall - Back
I think that from where this picture is taken Celia had a rather strange incident before we were married. She used to wear a green cloak, which was the uniform coat of the Friend's School Saffron Walden. She bought the cloak, whilst working in the School Uniform Department at Selfridges.

She literally took off in the swirling winds.

St. Georges Hall - Front
It's probably lost in antiquity, but one of the years whilst we were at University, was when they roasted an ox on the steps of St. George's Hall. It was also used to see how many students you could get into a Morris Minor during Panto Week.

Opposite St. Georges Hall is Lime Street Chambers.

Lime Street Chambers - Liverpool

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. This brings back a few memories. I was a student at Liverpool, possibly around the same time as you were if you've just got a bus pass (so have I :) ) I found you while googling for Phred, to see if I was correct on that spelling.

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home