James Miller

 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Father was a Printer

 

My father brought me up in a printing works and whenever I get the chance, I always sort out what I call proper printing; i.e. letterpress.

Great Patriotic War Museum, Minsk
The image shows a simple printing machine in the Great Patriotic War Museum, that was used to create a rudimentary newsletter during the war.

Great Patriotic War Museum, Minsk
Great Patriotic War Museum, Minsk
If you don't know, type is laid out in the case in a non-alphabetic and almost random manner. It would appear from the case shown here, that Cyrillic is no different.

The reason we talk about upper and lower case letters, is that tradionally, small letters are in front of the compositor in the lower case, with the large letters raised above it at the back in the upper case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home