James Miller

 

Monday, May 08, 2006

 

I Was There

Sunday was one of those "I Was There" moments at Newmarket. The 1,000 Guineas was won by Speciosa, trained by Pam Sly at Peterborough. Not the usual winner of a Classic race, but a very good horse.

In years to come, many more will claim they were there.

I was there last year in Trafalgar Square on July 6th, when the Olympics were announced for London. I was also at Old Trafford, when Dave Mackay broke his leg and Spurs attacked only to go down fighting in the Cup Winners Cup in 1963. And I was there when Lester Piggott won his last Guineas at nearly 60.

Such are moments that define our lives.

But I wasn't one of the 80,000 who claim they were there when Llanelli beat the All Blacks in the 1960's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home