James Miller

 

Friday, November 30, 2007

Learning to Read Early

 

I was taught to read very early in an unusual way.

My father was a letterpress printer and I had loads of poster letters with which to play and experiment from probably the age of about two. I was taught to spell by my grandmother and mother using these letters well before I went to school.

But they are of course backwards, so I had to reverse them in my mind to get it right. Or of course dip them in paint and print them.

Many people think I should have a problem, but I don’t and never have. However, I do have a very strong spatial awareness, which allows me to reverse images in my mind. I’ve done tests for this and always score very highly.

So perhaps teaching kids to read and write early is not a bad idea.

I suppose though, that teachers don’t want some of the kids to be behind others when they come to school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home