James Miller

 

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rescued by the Indians

 

Breakfast was good in the hotel. I had a lot of fruit followed by scrambled eggs and some bacon. Nothing to upset me there at all. Incidentally, I've never eaten bread in the US after the first few times as it's crap. Well not crap! Very crap!

So I didn't spend too much time wondering about supper, as if breakfast was this good, then supper might be fine.

I had time to kill, so I walked down to the railway that links Pointe Claire into the city. Did I see any restaurants? Two! One called Le Manoir looked smart and promising and there was an Indian Takeaway called Sahib. So in an hour or so, I just saw two.

Coming back I checked a supermarket for gluten-free food. Here in Canada, it appears that you have to list every ingredient and give nutrional values, but you don't have to list the allergens. Pointless!

So I checked Le Manoir just in case. I didn't like it, so I knew it would have to be the hotel restaurant.

I asked the barman for the menu and he knew all about being a coeliac. Unfortunately, everything except a plain steak or a salad was out. I just didn't fancy either, so I went and saw if I could brave Le Manior. I couldn't.

So as a last resort I gave Sahib a chance.

I was rescued as the waiter assured me that everything was cooked properly with chickpea flour and I was treated to an excellent Chicken Jalfrezi. With a glass of wine the whole thing was twenty-one Canadian Dollars or just over ten pounds.

Not bad and they even had a replay of the Indian Premier League on the television. Great fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home