James Miller

 

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Discrimination in Employment

 

I’ve employed people for years.

In all that time, I’ve actually never had two candidates who were equally good. Usually you get one candidate who stands out from the others. Sometimes, you don’t actually get anybody at all.

But if I did have two exceptional candidates, then I’d probably bend over backwards to try to employ both. That actually happened to my son and he was the second candidate, who his prospective employer took on because they felt he would benefit the firm. He’s still there after six years. I believe that most good employers would attempt to do that.

If you had two poor and equally unsuitable candidates, you’d probably readvertise. Could that be a problem, as say you’d turned down two black women and then employed an exceptional white male six months later? I would hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home